Published: Monday 28 September 2017.
Warrington is about to come alive with a range of events celebrating the quality of the borough’s cultural and sporting offer: the final countdown is on for Warrington Festival 2017…
A major highlight in the borough’s cultural calendar, the festival offers two months of action-packed events – and something for everyone to enjoy.
The festival gets under way on Saturday 2 September with RivFest, run by the River Reeves Foundation – which was set up in honour of local band Viola Beach, who were tragically killed in 2016. The event will see thousands of people descending on Priestley College, to enjoy music from Maximo Park, Billy Bragg, Eliza and the Bear, Mo and Max from The Voice, and many more.
RivFest will pave the way for a range of diverse cultural, artistic, sporting, leisure and heritage events – throughout September and October – run by a range of partners under the Warrington Festival banner. What’s more, many of the events are free!
Warrington Borough Council’s executive board member for culture and partnerships, Cllr Dan Price, said: “There is so much to celebrate about Warrington’s cultural and sporting heritage and that’s why we want the Warrington Festival to continue to grow so that it captures all that is great about our borough.
“Whether you’re up for physical or sporting challenge, looking to enjoy great music, a history buff wanting to learn more about your roots or a family looking to have fun together in our borough – the Warrington Festival is for you.
“Last year’s festival brought the whole community together and I would encourage everyone to support this year’s events and make the most of the fantastic range of activities on offer.”
The Warrington Festival 2017 events programme includes:
- 2 Sept – RivFest: Sensational bands, tasty street food, craft stalls and family fun. Run by, and in aid of, The River Reeves Foundation.
- 7-10 Oct – Heritage Open Days: Unlock Warrington’s past with four days of heritage events, talks, tours and workshops.
- 9 September – Warrington Wolves Foundation Family Mile: A fun event for all – toddlers, teens, parents, grandparents and absolutely anyone else who wants to get involved.
- 10 September – Walton Country Fayre: Amazing acts, live music, children’s fun fair, craft stalls, farmers market, gourmet hot food, real ale, and much more.
- 15 September – 5K Night Run: The Friday Night 5k will give runners the chance to earn additional bling and add more distance to the English Half Marathon weekend.
- 16 September – Cheshire Youth Federation Event: Outdoor fun and adventure including a climbing wall, flight simulator, crafts, music, band drills and more!
- From 16 September – Warrington Art Treasures: An exhibition celebrating special events in the history of Warrington Museum, including the opening of the main art gallery in Oct 1877.
- 17 September – English Half Marathon: This year’s route will take in the spectacular Golden Gates.
- 24 September – Warrington MELA: Live music, stage performances, traditional and contemporary dance, plus entertainment for all the family.
- 28 September – Warrington Contemporary Art Festival: performance, music, theatre, exhibitions and events.
For a full list of events and more information about Warrington Festival 2017, visit the official website at warringtonfestival.co.uk
Get your tickets for RivFest while you can by visiting riverreevesfoundation.org. Tickets cost £20 per adult, and the event will raise vital funds for The River Reeves Foundation. This year, the foundation will also be donating £1 from each ticket sold to the ‘We Love Manchester’ emergency fund, for those affected by the Manchester Arena attack and their families.